Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Quentin Tarantino


Quentin Tarantino is a badass, and he's not afraid to show it. Just joking. Or maybe not. In my early years of fiddling with cinema I was, apparently, the only one who couldn't get what was the fuss all about about. Pulp Fiction(1994) and Reservoir Dogs (1992) just wouldn't make any sense. I guess it's obvious that Quentin's art and craft can be appreciated at its best by film lovers, meaning film connoisseurs. His daring mix n' max of genres, styles, music and actors is one that gives utter pleasure to whoever knows the context and is rather perplexing to whoever doesn't have a clue. 

Recently he is hitting the headlines with his Lifetime Achievement Award at Rome Film Festival, his Golden Globe for Best Screenplay for Django Unchained (on which I cannot comment yet) and some Academy Awards nominations. 

Personally, I grew even more fond of him after Inglourious Basterds (2009) -couldn't stop myself laughing. Witty guys have me on hello, I have to admit. As well as brave ones. And he is the bravest of them all -just check this bone-breaking statement of his (Taste of Cinema spotted it first):
“I steal from every single movie ever made. I love it – if my work has anything it’s that I’m taking this from this and that from that and mixing them together. If people don’t like that, then tough titty, don’t go and see it, alright? I steal from everything. Great artists steal; they don’t do homages.” 

No comments: