Monday, November 25, 2013

Kate Mara is even cooler than Rooney Mara: House of Cards Season One


I loved Rooney Mara as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2012). I also loved her as a star with an edgy, gothic style. She's different and that kind of counts. But, I fell in love with her sister, Kate Mara. Even though she's the older sister. She is irresistible in an inexplicable way.

I also like Robin Wright. And Kevin Spacey. But, House of Cards  (2013) would not be the same without Kate Mara; to make my statement even stronger: never in the history of this blog did I write about a TV series. I guess a Netflix series is still sort of a TV series, innit? That's not exact, I did write once a post on The Secret Diary of a Call Girl (2007) with Billie Piper, but that was an English production of a raucous/polished topic, so it's a different story altogether. First time I write on an American produced series on boring real-life subjects, like corruption in politics, then.

Being apolitical is not an option any more for our generation; is enjoying corruption on screen politically incorrect? Is enjoying power relations on screen even more so? Probably it is. Is that why the series is a big success? Or is it because of the acting? Photography is not bad either, and dialogue is sharp, with generous amounts of irony -which we cannot live without, poor us. As well as defiance. ruthlessness and all that. Only on screen though; us, the soft, theoretical people, we are curious to get a glimpse of the scary-in-real-life tough ones.

Cin Cin, Kate. See you at the movies. Soon, I hope.

No comments: