Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ralph Fiennes


I recently saw  Ralph Fiennes in action again -wearing his frustrated-tortured-hopeless face. This time he was not an English Patient, neither Lord Voldermort, but The Reader to Kate Winslet.

What I know for sure is that he gave up that funny face for the modernized version of Coriolanus, in which he starred and also directed, in a rather convincing way. He is also done with his role as the convict who meets young Pip and changes his life. Oh, God, I don't want another version of Great Expectations! I like the latest one too much -the kids sealing their lips to a kiss while drinking water from a fountain is a scene that cannot be rendered.

Then, I went to the theatre yesterday and started searching once more the answer to a recurring question: how acting in front of the camera might differ from acting on stage? In many ways, I would say. But here's Ralph Fiennes, who says quite the opposite. It's good to see that some actors feel their roles rather than construct them out of tiny elements of physical expression and movement:
"I never studied anything about film technique in school. Eventually, I realized that cinema and theater are not so different: from the gut to the heart to the head of a character is the same journey for both."

No comments: